Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A response to October 18th, 2011 by Mara

I must admit that I do agree with the points made by Olywn. I can remember that at some point that elections Ontario or elections Canada was attempting to change the fact that we DO NOT vote for the Premier/Prime Minister directly - I must admit this is a good idea. We would be allowed to cast 2 votes; one for OUR riding and then a one for the Premier/Prime Minister.

 While attempting to decide which candidate deserved my vote, I had to rationalize who would run this province into a positive direction. I must admit that I've already been to the polls THREE times this year; each and every time having to weigh the consequences. After reading all of the material available and watching the debates, I was still torn between candidates – some of them were promising to serve my needs, but they would infringe on others needs. Some promised to cut taxes, but I always equate cutting taxes to cutting back on very necessary services! 

 So far Toronto's mayor has stopped the "gravy train" - but there doesn't seem to be much gravy to cut; he's eliminating job positions and privatizing services! As far as the Federal government goes, they have yet contradict any campaign promises but only time will tell.

Now onto the most recent and of course election - in my riding I had several candidates, except I truly felt that NO ONE deserved my vote! The Conservative candidate had crossed the party floors several times; leading me to believe his opinions/values can be easily changed/swayed. My Liberal candidate had been our MPP for almost 30 years - but when I asked him for help with overturning an OHIP decision (denying access to specific programs) the ONLY option for help was to go in Social Assistance (welfare). I didn't think this was the proper solution; I don’t believe that an individual with health concerns should have as their only option to using an already OVERLOADED Provincial Social Assistance Plan. Our governmental officials need to create sustainable healthcare options, allowing people with some what serious health concerns to have access to individual programs when needed; they should not have to completely STOP working and rely on Social Assistance for help – they should NOT be left in limbo having to pay for services when they do not have the financial means.

 Overall, when deciding to vote I had to look for my specific needs, I may have voted for as candidates/parties whose fundamental beliefs were not the same as mine, but their larger vision for Ontario was beneficial to me. When a voter chooses to vote inline with their union, employer or family pressure they are throwing their vote away and making the democratic process obsolete – we may as well just award the votes to people in power and ignore the little guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment