Sunday, November 1, 2009

Teaching Manifesto Part One

"The great world, the background, in all of us, is the world of our beliefs. That is the world of the permanencies and the immensities." ~ William James

__________________________________



A Teacher’s Manifesto

1. We cannot split ourselves into our personal lives and our teaching lives. As we are becoming more whole persons, we are able to teach more effectively.

2. What we believe in theory does not transfer directly to what we do in practice. What we do speaks louder than our declared theoretical constructs. Ethical teachers correct their behaviours with good theory and apply good theory to their practice with the understanding that they are progressing through unfinishedness and beyond. Our subconscious beliefs condition our practice more immediately than our conscious beliefs. When our subconscious and conscious beliefs are not in alignment, we are not fully credible in the classroom.

3. Without the ingratiating attitude of gratitude, the thankless tasks of teaching will lead to teaching without heart. Thankful teachers go the distance in bureaucratic school systems. Thankfulness answers knowledge and happiness with the capacity to embrace our students as gifts, and as gifted.

4. We cannot care unless we are convinced of our own self-worth. A caring teacher chooses to let go of power over students. The egocentric teacher needs power over to prop up the system, his reputation, his sense of control. The caring teacher does not need power over to feed the ego.

5. The teacher with authority is fully present to, with and for students. True authority comes from seeing and feeling from the side of the student. Authority slippage happens as soon as we use power over to hold on to it. Power over imposes the way. Authority points the way.

2 comments:

  1. Funny that the first thing I read speaks so clearly to me. Just the other day I was questioning where Kelly the teacher ends and Kelly the person begins. I came to the conclusion that not separating the two can only serve to make me both a better teacher and a better person. Although I think my husband (a non-teacher) wishes I could leave my job at school and just be a mom and wife, I think that he'll soon see that they both serve each other. While it is true and important that I learn to find a healthy balance between home and school life, I have to accept that this is a profession that changes who you are, I can only hope for the better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a first year teacher. I cannot separate the office from the house. The lines were blurred in teacher's college. I am ok with that and although my family would like my full attention, they are supportive and satisfied with my ever-reading-planning-evaluating-new-teacher presence.

    Will

    ReplyDelete