Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Schooling Versus Education

Schooling and education have quite different connotations in my view. Schooling places students and teachers in bureaucratic systems where anxiety tied to performance, performance set to rigid goals, goals imposed by political needs, and needs defined by employability all rule the day.

Education, however, has more to do with curiosity and the motivation to understand, individual goals and developing humaneness in students.

I have chosen to do my best to educate. This choice means more flexible timelines, a less content-driven curriculum (fewer detached bits of cognitive material ) and an openness to my students' own thinking and feelings about life and society.

I would enjoy reading other educators' views on this distinction.

No comments:

Post a Comment