Sunday, September 13, 2009

Enlarging ethical space

As a classroom teacher, am I mostly concerned about covering the curriculum? If so, my interest in the student can easily take second place to the pressure of getting through it all. I can't just teach whatever I want in the prescribed curriculum. I am accountable to the parents and other teachers. If the student moves classes or schools, it is important that both that teacher and the student be able to pick up where I left off without big gaps. However, what I've learned to do is look over the curriculum and be sure to highlight the essential elements the students will need to both be successful on culminating activities and tests, but also to have sufficient understanding of transferable knowledge to another class or school. So rather than be anxious about covering everything in the textbook, I still have a lot of latitude once the essentials are dealt with. That's when teaching can get relational, especially when I can relax and enjoy the students as people.

No comments:

Post a Comment